Totse.com is no longer available!
This is a static archive of what the website used to be.
Check out the new articles and visit the community at Zoklet.net

View Full Version : Why won't tor connect?

Mutant Funk Drink
2009-01-11, 05:45
I'm on windows xp, by the way.

I've never had a problem running tor until now. For some reason, it won't connect. I'm using Vidalia, and it just seems to hang whenever I try connecting.

Here's what my message log says:
Jan 10 21:41:03.777 [Notice] Tor v0.2.0.32 (r17346). This is experimental software. Do not rely on it for strong anonymity. (Running on Windows XP Service Pack 2 [workstation] {terminal services, single user})
Jan 10 21:41:03.996 [Notice] Initialized libevent version 1.4.7-stable using method win32. Good.
Jan 10 21:41:03.996 [Notice] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9050
Jan 10 21:41:03.996 [Notice] Opening Control listener on 127.0.0.1:9051
Jan 10 21:45:50.731 [Notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80. Giving up. (waiting for circuit)

My connections keep failing no matter what. I haven't changed any settings, and my firewall is off, along with my ports forwarded on my router. Is it possible that my ISP(at&t) has blocked tor?

Prometheum
2009-01-11, 06:36
That doesn't look like a problem on your end. If you can't get any connections at all, you can't get to the directory server; otherwise, you probably just can't get to a node.

Your ISP could be blocking Tor -- see if you can netcat to some of the directory servers. I doubt they'd be doing that (it'd be a first IIRC) but they could.

Mutant Funk Drink
2009-01-11, 09:54
I'm not really sure how to do what you said with netcat. I really only know how to do a few basic things with netcat, like transferring files and transmitting text.

I made a screencap of my situation, just in case I'm missing something obvious.
http://i43.tinypic.com/ac7bbr.jpg

It's like I'm connected, but at the same time I'm not. All of my connections keep failing.

Prometheum
2009-01-11, 16:05
Are you running an Ubuntu theme on XP? That's ridiculous.

Up the LogLevel to info and run it again.

Mutant Funk Drink
2009-01-13, 23:54
I don't think it's ridiculous. It makes it easier to switch between windows and ubuntu. Besides, it's a nice change from Luna. I really hate Luna.

I changed the log level to info and nothing different happened. I got an identical log. I also tried using the public bridges several times, but that didn't work either. I don't want to have to bother using bridges anyway.

Prometheum
2009-01-14, 02:33
I don't think it's ridiculous. It makes it easier to switch between windows and ubuntu. Besides, it's a nice change from Luna. I really hate Luna.

I changed the log level to info and nothing different happened. I got an identical log. I also tried using the public bridges several times, but that didn't work either. I don't want to have to bother using bridges anyway.

I mean ridiculous in a "whoa, ridiculous" way.

Set it higher, I think I forgot what's going on with info/etc. Try warning or debug. Debug is everything, of course.

You could also turn off log scrubbing to see what's being blocked.

Mutant Funk Drink
2009-01-14, 04:15
Oh I see. :p

Well I somehow mysteriously got tor to finally work. I had previously reinstalled Vidalia, but that solved nothing. This time I actually installed an older version of Vidalia from 2007 to see if that would make a difference,
but to no avail. Then I reinstalled the new version of Vidalia and now it works! Maybe it fixed some crappy config file or something. I still don't get it though. If it ends up not working again, I'll post back here.
Thanks Prometheum!