Totse.com is no longer available!
This is a static archive of what the website used to be.
Check out the new articles and visit the community at Zoklet.net

View Full Version : Return stolen goods for store credit?

Orinux
2009-01-15, 22:54
This is just hypothetical and none of what i am about to say has or will ever be done by me!

I just purchased a sensormatic hook not from Vinipooh since he could not deliver one in my area :( . I still thank him tho for letting me know and not scamming me lol.
Anyway now i want to move on and get those clothes and return em for store credit and than sell em for a cheaper price!
Now maybe a stupid question but i want to know:
When i return a stolen shirt should i remove the price tag from it knowing that it includes the bar code number as well??
I mean if they scan it would the item show that it was never purchased?
I don't really care about returning without a price tag but i think it would look more realistic if the price tag was still there!
One more question:
Lets say i get a item in location X and return it in location Y (same store) would location Y show it was purchased in location X if i keep the bar code tag on it?

And anybody in here has done this before and has any tips?
Thanx Totse ;)

LSA King
2009-01-16, 00:04
Return it as original looking as you can since you don't have a receipt.

TheBrick
2009-01-16, 00:43
A barcode has no bearing on whether an item was sold or not..it is the same on every similar shirt. Some stores, like WalMart, are able to see if something is stolen based on RFID tags, but this isn't done in many places.

Orinux
2009-01-16, 00:57
A barcode has no bearing on whether an item was sold or not..it is the same on every similar shirt. Some stores, like WalMart, are able to see if something is stolen based on RFID tags, but this isn't done in many places.

Sounds good hope its true!
Thanx New Arrival

So_Cal_Tay_12
2009-01-16, 01:53
The Basics
--------------

Return them ith the barcode, all a barcode is is a number sequence that identifies a price and type of item. Some stores keep records on sales of items, some for a year, some for a few months. If they ask when you purchased it just say you dont remember. If they try to clarify such as "was it in the last year, recently, ect." just say you have no clue, after that they wont ask any more questions most of the time.

As far as credit, a lot of the time they will return it for a lower price than the barcode says. This is because they are required to return it for the lowest sale price it has ever been sold for, do not argue with them, just be happy with whatever you get. If the small difference matters that much, return an extra item next time.

As far as how often and times to return it, aim for sale days or weekends depending on their busy times, the busier they are, the less likely they will be to think twice about the return. Also for frequency, rule of thumb is you can do it at a store until you are recognized. Once they say something like "you look kind of familiar" or "Was it you who was here last weekend?" that is a key sign to let up on that store for a while and move on for a month or two.

Also dont get greedy, odds are if you think it seems too good to be true or too hard to pull off, it is, DON'T DO IT, ITS NOT WORTH IT. Remember, small store credits are less suspicious and will eventually add up to a big one anyways, make sense?

Any other questions? Just ask. P.S. this is in no way to be used, just information to know

Orinux
2009-01-16, 02:19
The Basics
--------------

Return them with the barcode, all a barcode is is a number sequence that identifies a price and type of item. Some stores keep records on sales of items, some for a year, some for a few months. If they ask when you purchased it just say you dont remember. If they try to clarify such as "was it in the last year, recently, ect." just say you have no clue, after that they wont ask any more questions most of the time.

As far as credit, a lot of the time they will return it for a lower price than the barcode says. This is because they are required to return it for the lowest sale price it has ever been sold for, do not argue with them, just be happy with whatever you get. If the small difference matters that much, return an extra item next time.

As far as how often and times to return it, aim for sale days or weekends depending on their busy times, the busier they are, the less likely they will be to think twice about the return. Also for frequency, rule of thumb is you can do it at a store until you are recognized. Once they say something like "you look kind of familiar" or "Was it you who was here last weekend?" that is a key sign to let up on that store for a while and move on for a month or two.

Also dont get greedy, odds are if you think it seems too good to be true or too hard to pull off, it is, DON'T DO IT, ITS NOT WORTH IT. Remember, small store credits are less suspicious and will eventually add up to a big one anyways, make sense?

Any other questions? Just ask. P.S. this is in no way to be used, just information to know

Thanx for that info i really needed it.
Ill make sure i go slow with returning items and make sure ill go to different people each time i am in.
You have any experience at this?

fishmonger
2009-01-16, 03:10
One thing to consider is in a large store like macys there are registers everywhere.
While I wouldn't try to return something from housewares in the mens dept. There are plenty of employees to choose from.

nostrumfiend
2009-01-16, 16:48
The Basics
--------------

Return them ith the barcode, all a barcode is is a number sequence that identifies a price and type of item. Some stores keep records on sales of items, some for a year, some for a few months. If they ask when you purchased it just say you dont remember. If they try to clarify such as "was it in the last year, recently, ect." just say you have no clue, after that they wont ask any more questions most of the time.

I disagree with one thing. Saying you don't remember when you bought something:
a) looks sketchy
b) could possibly put you past the time limit on returns
c) is slightly unrealistic to have NO recollection of the time period you bought an item

So_Cal_Tay_12
2009-01-16, 22:46
I disagree with one thing. Saying you don't remember when you bought something:
a) looks sketchy
b) could possibly put you past the time limit on returns
c) is slightly unrealistic to have NO recollection of the time period you bought an item

I'm sorry for not clarifying, I usually start by saying "so and so purchased these for me" such as "dad", "girlfriend", etc, anyone who would buy you a gift. This usually clears up why you dont know when it was purchased. Also if you give a date, that gives them the oportunity to look up your transaction or if that item's sale history, so if they can't find your transaction and see that theres no sale history for that item, that could end poorly as well.

Thanx for that info i really needed it.
Ill make sure i go slow with returning items and make sure ill go to different people each time i am in.
You have any experience at this?

we'll just leave it at I know a lot about it and the small flaws in many systems. Another thing I left out is to take note of who is working the returns counter when you do each return. If some red headed girl does your first return, the next time you go back walk in without your returns first and see ho is working. If she is there, dont return it, if shes not, go back out, get your stuff and return it. Once it seems like you never get a new person, you can try to do returns with repeat people but I advise just switching stores, its safer.

Also in larger stores like large warehouse-like stores, i.e. a lot of sporting good stores they have a completely different counter for returns that isnt even by the cash registers, often times in the back of the store. During a busy time it is easy to grab some merchandise and just walk back and return it with no receipt, and even if a camera sees you take something off the shelf and walk back it will appear as though you are walking back to just put it on hold.

Like I said, all stores have their flaws, you just have to pay attention closely for what type of people work there, where their cameras are, and where and how they take returns. The rest is common sense and simple reasoning.