PDA

View Full Version : lye problem

catman2000
03-10-2009, 12:20 PM
Can any one help me? I can not find 100% lye any where. Does any one know where i can find it? I don't want to order online either! I found one with just lye but not 100% it has metal shavings, white balls and a blue powder. The lye is the the blue powder can i pull it out and use it?

micro
03-10-2009, 03:29 PM
You are unable to find lye (NaOH)?
It is available otc nearly anywhere as a drain opener.
If not as granules, then as a solution. And a solution can be boiled down to obtain the NaoH.
Look for the cheapest possible brand, they usually don't have any fancy additives.
Only straight NaOH with some impurities, or 10 to 30% NaOH in a water solution.
It reads on the bottle if it contains sodiumhydroxide(NaOH, commonly known as lye).
If it does not read on the bottle, than it will read on the MSDS sheet.

(and do your research)

alex333
03-10-2009, 10:11 PM
search google. you should be able to find it within 5 minutes.

Hydroponichronic
03-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Someone needs to write a guide to making your own lye via electrolysis. Seems to me like NaCl (Or NaHCO3) could be dissolved, then a two cell setup could be constructed (from easy stuff like pop-bottles and straws) and then run some juice through it and wind up with Na+ at the cathode and Cl (or HCO3) at the anode. Then, theoretically, the cell containing the cathode would build Na concentration and the cell containing the anode would build up cations. The charge balance would come from hydrolysis of the aqueous medium. After a run time, the cells could just be separated and the cathodic cell fluid gets boiled away to leave NaOH.

But, yea. If you look around long enough (more findable at small HW stores, believe it or not) you should be able to find some stuff called, and I kid you not, "100% household lye." I can't think of any reason why 100% lye would be household, but w/e. I'm greatful.

micro
03-11-2009, 08:49 AM
My lye was in a plstic bottle labelled as "caustic soda 750g" on the back it read that it had 80-100% sodiumhydroxide. It dissolved fully in water, so atleast the possible impurities are water soluable.

And that electrochemical NaOH preparation, it works, but is slow.
There is a whole thread about improvised NaOH production at RS.

TripleDot
03-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Well, I have no idea where you live but I hear Red Devil lye is a popular brand. And if they question you about why you are buying it? You want to try and make some soap, and your Girlfriend/friend/mother? is gonna teach you, but you needed to get the ingredients.

Irukanji
03-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Buy it online in 100kg bags. If they ask, say you want to dissolve some bodies....

Or make soap, but it seems they only care about teh mefs...

stateofhack
03-11-2009, 06:09 PM
i don't want this turning into sourcing... but you can get lye everywhere. Look into laundry shops, hardware stores etc...

Hydroponichronic
03-12-2009, 12:34 AM
Buy it online in 100kg bags. If they ask, say you want to dissolve some bodies....Lye rocks for this. As I always say, It's not murder if there's no corpse ;).

InspiredByMe
03-12-2009, 12:45 AM
Lye rocks for this. As I always say, It's not murder if there's no corpse ;).

Or you could use HF...I was suddenly reminded of that breaking bad episode.

No offense OP, but does anyone else think that questions like this should go into the bullshit thread?

Also it can be made through a more naturally but harder process:http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lye

King Owl
03-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Lye rocks for this. As I always say, It's not murder if there's no corpse ;).

Lye is crap for dissolving bodies. Google 'soap mummy' for more info.

Dread_Lord
03-13-2009, 06:35 AM
I thought it was lime that was good for dissolving bodies.

stateofhack
03-13-2009, 07:35 AM
Lets get back on topic please. If you want to make a topic on dissolving bodies feel free to do so, but not in this thread.

thanks.

Irukanji
03-13-2009, 07:47 AM
^Might take your offer up on that :)

But then again, doesnt HCl basically preserve the flesh? NaOH burns hurt(and work well for dissolving flesh, personal experience). Not gonna clutter the main page with threads :)

stateofhack
03-13-2009, 04:47 PM
^Might take your offer up on that :)

But then again, doesnt HCl basically preserve the flesh? NaOH burns hurt(and work well for dissolving flesh, personal experience). Not gonna clutter the main page with threads :)

Be my guest :)

please back on topic.

scovegner
03-14-2009, 02:43 PM
Well, I have no idea where you live but I hear Red Devil lye is a popular brand. And if they question you about why you are buying it? You want to try and make some soap, and your Girlfriend/friend/mother? is gonna teach you, but you needed to get the ingredients.

Red Devil went out of business because of it's use in meff ...
Here I just pick up a bottle of 'caustic soda' from the shelf in pretty much any hardware store ..

asilentbob
03-14-2009, 04:22 PM
Long long ago I worked out the math on:
CaO + Na2CO3 ----> NaOH + CaCO3

Had it all written down and then lost it... Even had estimated total cost...

The thing is that this is a really slow reaction. On the Plus side... You might be able to buy a bunch of CaO from a cement plant... really cheap... maybe... maybe not...

Stop whining and fucking search you asshole.

incorporated
03-14-2009, 04:28 PM
I feel guilty for even posting in this thread, it's retarded and the question has been answered.

I'm still wondering how this thread was taken seriously in the first place... :rolleyes:

stateofhack
03-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Stop whining and fucking search you asshole.

:thumbsup: thanks.