Old 05-10-2010, 07:32 AM
Baron

Default Psychedelics and The Brain

http://tripzine.com/pit/signal_theory_poster.pdf
I found that rather interesting....

TELL ME MORE!

Last edited by mksnowboarder; 12-19-2010 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Archived
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Butcher (05-11-2010), Hydroponichronic (05-11-2010), iMagiNation (12-20-2010), Kazar (05-23-2010), N0 W4RN1NG (05-10-2010), not a troll account (05-11-2010), Rizzo in a box (05-22-2010), samhuinn (05-11-2010), Stock Market Anomalies (05-11-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Baron

Default Re: Psychedelics and The Brain

i wanted to hear some more about this =[
Stock Market Anomalies (05-11-2010)
Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Marquis

The images of the specific molecules was pretty cool.
Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Baron

the idea of like.... shit going back and forth was cool
Stock Market Anomalies (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Marquis

This thread deserves 3 thanks

thanks for the link.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:06 AM
Baron

thank you but uhhh
i want to know more about happens in the brain with psychedelic drugs
i know they mainly effect the 5-ht2 subtype a serotonin receptors in the brain, that's all over wki
tell me more tell me more

seriously
it makes a big difference when you understand a drug, or at least it feels that way
Old 05-11-2010, 01:17 AM
Marquis

You might have better luck going to bluelight -> Advanced drug discussion.

Theres about a total of 5 people on this forum that would be able to post something intelligent (protip: I'm not one of them), unless the subject at hand is nutmeg.
mr.poopypants (05-11-2010)
Old 05-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Baron

haha alright well
i'm new to posting on forums
i've always just read them
thank you for the info!
i'm going to use my thanks on you!
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Baron

Awesome link.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Maud'Dib

Thanked 1,412 Times in 936 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rizzo in a box Send a message via MSN to Rizzo in a box
Grin Re: Psychedelics and The Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Monkey View Post
i'm going to use my thanks on you!
you make it sound so dirty

Quote:
You might have better luck going to bluelight -> Advanced drug discussion.

Trueeee but why do you have to try and kill some good discussion by sending it over to bluelight.

Quote:
Theres about a total of 5 people on this forum that would be able to post something intelligent (protip: I'm not one of them), unless the subject at hand is nutmeg.
What do you mean unless the subject is nutmeg? (oh wait, I get it. nevermind lol, but still )

ps: I'll revisit this thread later, possibly when I'm eating amps
On every golden scale! ..."

Last edited by Rizzo in a box; 05-11-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:31 AM
Baron

Speaking of nutmeg, whatever happened to JoePedo? One of his epically massive posts is exactly what this thread needs.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:11 AM
Archduke

Thanked 1,240 Times in 848 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirit Monkey View Post
Woah, this is going to take some time to get. Nice find.

Last edited by mksnowboarder; 05-21-2010 at 10:15 PM. Reason: fixed quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:02 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcrjtn View Post
He got caught with a meth lab in his basement and two kidnapped kids, age 6 and 7 locked in a spare bedroom
laughin mah ass off
anyone read that poster deal?
checkout tripzine
it's hosted by a guy by the name of scotto who has multiple trip reports on erowid
tripzine.com i believe
Youtube "LSD or Strychnine"
kind of stupid but it's his work, he does like plays and shit I guess?
Cosm.org is alright too
Old 05-21-2010, 10:09 PM
Baron

bump mang
Old 05-22-2010, 01:00 AM
Duke

Fuck bluelight.

OP why don't you do more research on your own? Try reading into some old studies when they used psychedelics for therapy/lab tests on humans.

I haven't read the link yet but I might later. The best drugs are the ones that replicate the brain's own mechanisms and are chemically related to those.
Old 05-22-2010, 01:50 AM
The Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizzo in a box View Post
Trueeee but why do you have to try and kill some good discussion by sending it over to bluelight.
This. I'm too lazy too pull sources like you used to, but those were good posts. I know I disagree with them sometimes (snorting benzos ). If you feel like it, the forum would be appreciative for some more of those.

mike
Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspiredByMe View Post
Fuck bluelight.

OP why don't you do more research on your own? Try reading into some old studies when they used psychedelics for therapy/lab tests on humans.

I haven't read the link yet but I might later. The best drugs are the ones that replicate the brain's own mechanisms and are chemically related to those.
Uhhhh I do a lot of research a couple times a week on average, sometimes everyday.
I always read about the brain, drugs, psychology, ect.
I just want someone to explain BASICALLY what goes on in the brain during the common psychedelics(lsd mushies blah blah)
Read the link man!
Old 05-23-2010, 04:46 AM
Count

Great stuff. I'll consult this poster if I'm ever having a bad tip. "Yeah, it's just an excess of recurrent feedback...shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit"
Old 05-23-2010, 04:05 PM
Baron

haha yeauhhhhh, i read the poster a couple times but, i still can't find a good couple sentences worth remembering that hold significance to myself and that i could integrate into my life
Old 05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy Brown Mustard View Post
haha yeauhhhhh, i read the poster a couple times but, i still can't find a good couple sentences worth remembering that hold significance to myself and that i could integrate into my life
These aren't exactly memorable sentences, but if you get the concept down I can see them helping you out during a bout of paranoia:

1. Tryptamine Hallucinogenics resemble serotonin and bind to the most common receptor subtype. I don't know the full implications of that but I know that the serotonin network is the biggest neurotransmitter network in the brain and is involved in memory, learning, mood, sleep, etc. Your neurons squirt and absorb it according to what the task at hand calls for. Throw a bunch of acid into your brain and suddenly you're making a bunch of connections that aren't really there and shouldn't be there. Despite what ate, rizzo, and joepedo will tell you about how vital a component it is to your spiritual journey, all you're really doing is short-circuiting and convoluting shit. You're taking slot A and connecting to slot C Z and X. Just because something looks like an epiphany doesn't mean it's any more special than just striking your knee and getting a knee-jerk reflex.

Info/stimulus in -> Processed -> output -> re-analyzed -> perception. drugs interact/distort that. Anything spiritual about psychadelics is not really.

If you google some gestalt psychology you'll understand the information on the right side
http://graphicdesign.spokanefalls.ed...staltprinc.htm

Last edited by Zay; 05-23-2010 at 07:15 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 PM
Maud'Dib

Thanked 1,412 Times in 936 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Rizzo in a box Send a message via MSN to Rizzo in a box

Quote:
Despite what ate, rizzo, and joepedo will tell you about how vital a component it is to your spiritual journey, all you're really doing is short-circuiting and convoluting shit

And art is just a mixture of like, colors and shit. Yeah. Fuck yeah. You know, let's demean and make everything as base and as material as fucking possible, just because it's so comfortable and easy to manipulate. Fuck all elevation of the human spirit and the very idea that there is a spirit.
On every golden scale! ..."
Old 05-24-2010, 06:43 AM
New Arrival

Basically, the essence of what he's getting at is that the layer 5 cortical cells are what generate the "trip". The layer 5 cells are the output of your entire brain, for example: the layer 5 cells in your motor cortex send the actual signal to your body to move muscles via the spinal column. Every area of the cortex has layer 5 cells, the difference is that other areas can redirect the output to back to the cortex: when you think a thought, you are experiencing the layer 5 output of a speech area being sent as input to an auditory area (layer 4 receives input, by the way).

In the center of your brain is a hub called the thalamus, that basically acts like a traffic director, deciding what information is allowed into and out of the cortex. Normally, an inhibitory layer of the thalamus called the thalamic reticular nucleus (TRN) puts a sharp limit on how much output from layer 5 is allowed back in (prevents feedback loops). For example: notice how when you have a thought, it stays in your head for a few seconds and then fades away, this is your TRN shutting off the spot in your cortex that was generating the thought.

When you take a psychedelic, the excitory action on the layer 5 cells shifts the balance of power back towards the cortex: any output can be received as input an indefinite number of times. Images can be sent back to visual areas over and over, leading to hallucinations, auditory input can be reheard, leading to trailing thoughts, etc... I wouldn't say that you're necessarily receiving "false" signals, its more a matter of whether this additional level of processing gives you information that is useful and beneficial in your life. If it does, then I don't see how it is any less real that the information generated by the circuitry when it is operating normally, either way, its information that doesn't exist outside of your brain. But evolution has fine tuned the system, so there is a much greater risk of receiving junk data when you modify it.

That being said, as with all neuroscience, these ideas are very speculative, and plus, I'm a little rusty, haven't touched my textbooks in a while. But if you have any more questions, I'll try to think them over...
mr.poopypants (05-26-2010)
Old 05-24-2010, 09:44 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by I don't remember my name View Post
Basically, the essence of what he's getting at is that the layer 5 cortical cells are what generate the "trip". The layer 5 cells are the output of your entire brain, for example: the layer 5 cells in your motor cortex send the actual signal to your body to move muscles via the spinal column. Every area of the cortex has layer 5 cells, the difference is that other areas can redirect the output to back to the cortex: when you think a thought, you are experiencing the layer 5 output of a speech area being sent as input to an auditory area (layer 4 receives input, by the way).

In the center of your brain is a hub called the thalamus, that basically acts like a traffic director, deciding what information is allowed into and out of the cortex. Normally, an inhibitory layer of the thalamus called the thalamic reticular nucleus (TRN) puts a sharp limit on how much output from layer 5 is allowed back in (prevents feedback loops). For example: notice how when you have a thought, it stays in your head for a few seconds and then fades away, this is your TRN shutting off the spot in your cortex that was generating the thought.

When you take a psychedelic, the excitory action on the layer 5 cells shifts the balance of power back towards the cortex: any output can be received as input an indefinite number of times. Images can be sent back to visual areas over and over, leading to hallucinations, auditory input can be reheard, leading to trailing thoughts, etc... I wouldn't say that you're necessarily receiving "false" signals, its more a matter of whether this additional level of processing gives you information that is useful and beneficial in your life. If it does, then I don't see how it is any less real that the information generated by the circuitry when it is operating normally, either way, its information that doesn't exist outside of your brain. But evolution has fine tuned the system, so there is a much greater risk of receiving junk data when you modify it.

That being said, as with all neuroscience, these ideas are very speculative, and plus, I'm a little rusty, haven't touched my textbooks in a while. But if you have any more questions, I'll try to think them over...
Thanks for the info man, and thanks OP. I'd give you all thanks' but I',m not giving any more out
Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Baron

thank you(posts after my last)
I now have a better understanding of what went on in my brain those numerous times during the spring semester.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Baron

HEY! A good old thread of mine!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Duke

thanks for the bump, never saw this!
Old 12-19-2010, 10:26 PM
The Boss

Archived.

mike
Old 03-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Baron

whut up faggots!?
Old 03-21-2012, 12:38 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.poopypants View Post
whut up faggots!?
hi der!
Old 03-21-2012, 01:00 AM
Baron

Alright niggas.
This just explains the actions of tryptamines. What about phenethylamine's?
They lack the indole ring that is talked about in the poster.
Old 03-21-2012, 01:50 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrieann View Post
Alright niggas.
i have a bunch of those phenethylamines sitting right next to me here
Old 03-21-2012, 01:52 AM
Baron

Mad Re: Psychedelics and The Brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by duder View Post
i have a bunch of those phenethylamines sitting right next to me here
I'm all out of mine...

Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
I'm all out of mine...

im going to do some with this poppy tea i've been making
Old 03-21-2012, 03:18 AM
Euphorogenesis

Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,357 Posts

Old thread is old.
mr.poopypants (03-21-2012)
Old 03-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Baron

I asked a relevant question though:

Quote:
Alright niggas.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:42 AM
Euphorogenesis

Thanked 1,894 Times in 1,357 Posts

Quote:
I asked a relevant question though:
Phenylethylamines of the 2c family are partial agonists of the 5-HT2A serotonin receptor. So basicly they work in the same way considering perceptual distortion. However they are less potent as they are partial agonists.

Last edited by psychomanthis; 03-21-2012 at 03:45 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychomanthis View Post
Old thread is old.
I still think we almost had a good thread going and being old might as well be new since it was long enough ago that nobody really remembers much of what was said, thus you might have read the entire thread and wanted to ask a question.

Just like a proper thread discussion would go...