Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > DIY

Old 03-02-2009, 01:22 AM

Default How to dig an underground room/bunker

I've always wanted to dig tunnels and create secret rooms, and I want an underground room just for the hell of it (especially to use as a bunker if the 2012 prediction ends up coming true. So, does anyone have any tips on how to dig a room, how deep under to put it, and what to reinforce the roof and sides with?
Old 03-02-2009, 01:26 AM
Duke

Default Re: How to dig an underground room/bunker

I remember a thread on totse being about this something about using a shipping container anyways im safe I got a basement and a cave if I need it.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:27 AM

Step 1: Go to your nearest KFC. Pick up some slaves (use weapons if necessary).
2: Give one of them a spoon and tell them to get to work.
But if slaves are not available, you can always spend a bunch of hours using a shovel.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:28 AM
Regular

Why didn't anyone save the old tunnel thread.

Look up any of the books put out during the Cold War about building a fallout shelter.

Or, I could go into mass details here, and make some huge tl;dr post.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:31 AM
Regular

If I wanted to go about this in the easiest way I could think of, I would bury a shipping container underground. There are a whole bunch of big projects dedicated to building entire homes and buildings out of shipping containers. They're cheap (relative to other options), sturdy, and you can easily stack together and secure multiple shipping containers.

I'd buy some sort of digging machine, dig a deep hole, drop in the shipping container, buy a cheap sewer pipe for use as a tunnel to the surface, and add a ladder and hatch.

Attached is a diagram of my idea.

Last edited by Steve; 03-02-2009 at 01:45 AM.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:01 AM
Baron

Send a message via MSN to 13579
Sad Re: How to dig an underground room/bunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsokid18 View Post
Why didn't anyone save the old tunnel thread.

Look up any of the books put out during the Cold War about building a fallout shelter.

Or, I could go into mass details here, and make some huge tl;dr post.
I really wish Jeff would upload a huge archive of totse threads.

I mean...you don't think when he took them offline, he DELETED them, do you?

Too bad we had...what, a day or two to get any useful information off?

So many projects and interesting things, as well as amazing ideas, lost.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:20 AM
Serf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13579 View Post
I really wish Jeff would upload a huge archive of totse threads.

I mean...you don't think when he took them offline, he DELETED them, do you?

Too bad we had...what, a day or two to get any useful information off?

So many projects and interesting things, as well as amazing ideas, lost.

He rm -rf'ed them
Old 03-02-2009, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
If I wanted to go about this in the easiest way I could think of, I would bury a shipping container underground. There are a whole bunch of big projects dedicated to building entire homes and buildings out of shipping containers. They're cheap (relative to other options), sturdy, and you can easily stack together and secure multiple shipping containers.

I'd buy some sort of digging machine, dig a deep hole, drop in the shipping container, buy a cheap sewer pipe for use as a tunnel to the surface, and add a ladder and hatch.

Attached is a diagram of my idea.
Considering shipping containers cost upwards of $1,500... um...
Old 03-02-2009, 02:33 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyclaw441 View Post
??thats cheap if you are planning on creating an underground room.. all you'd need after that is maybe some carpet, some furniture, and lighting.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:29 AM

Ventilation, heating and waste disposal might be nice to have if the apocalypse lasts for more than 24 hours.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Nerd Fangs (06-24-2009)
Old 03-02-2009, 03:42 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Thanked 3,173 Times in 2,083 Posts

LOL @ KFC

I have one on my old property, dismantled it before I moved. Anyway, I had a garden in my backyard. It wasn't being used. Every single day, with the free time I had, which was very little back then, I would dig until my time was up. Usually about thirty minutes or an hour. Anyway, after about a week or so of doing nothing but digging I had a hole that was about twelve feet deep. Upon widening it the next week and squaring it off, it was about thirteen feet deep, twenty feet long and fifteen feet wide.

I created a floor by laying out 2x4 lumber, and later epoxied heavy duty plywood cuts over that.

After this I installed plywood around the walls of the hole. I covered the walls with a mesh cloth material because I didn't feel like looking at them. Anyway the "ceiling" consisted of 2x4s which I epoxied over the plywood walls. I left five of the 2x4s cut specifically that would allow a small hole I could drop thru, and usually left that covered with a random sheet of plywood. I covered the roof of the thing with soil and grass and it was impossible to tell that it was there.

Was it for surviving the White Holocaust (I'm a Racist Bastard) ? No it was just a secret little underground room I built when I was a teenager. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than using a train car or something. You wouldn't need all of the wooden shit or anything, just put some 2x4s over a big hole or some shit. I think everyone should be allowed to indulge in this kind of thing as a child.

Last edited by RDProgrammer; 03-03-2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Bullshit and rediculously unbased racism
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim "fuck latinos" Carrey View Post
LOL @ KFC

I have one on my old property, dismantled it before I moved. Anyway, I had a garden in my backyard. It wasn't being used. Every single day, with the free time I had, which was very little back then, I would dig until my time was up. Usually about thirty minutes or an hour. Anyway, after about a week or so of doing nothing but digging I had a hole that was about twelve feet deep. Upon widening it the next week and squaring it off, it was about thirteen feet deep, twenty feet long and fifteen feet wide.

I created a floor by laying out 2x4 lumber, and later epoxied heavy duty plywood cuts over that.

After this I installed plywood around the walls of the hole. I covered the walls with a mesh cloth material because I didn't feel like looking at them. Anyway the "ceiling" consisted of 2x4s which I epoxied over the plywood walls. I left five of the 2x4s cut specifically that would allow a small hole I could drop thru, and usually left that covered with a random sheet of plywood. I covered the roof of the thing with soil and grass and it was impossible to tell that it was there.

Was it for surviving the White Holocaust? No it was just a secret little underground room I built when I was a teenager. It's a hell of a lot cheaper than using a train car or something. You wouldn't need all of the wooden shit or anything, just put some 2x4s over a big hole or some shit. I think everyone should be allowed to indulge in this kind of thing as a child.
Bullshit! There is no way you dug up 3900 cubic feet of earth, by hand, in two weeks, in your spare fucking 30 minutes a day. The ground here is Louisiana is very soft, and even here that would be an impossible feat.

Besides that, this is a pretty shit-brained idea. There is no way 'laying out' 2x4s on top of uneven soil would produce something that would even come close to resembling a passable floor.

Last edited by Hyper-dimension; 03-03-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:20 AM
Regular

Quote:
If you plan on building a viable underground bunker for any less than that, then gtfo. Your thread has officially been hijacked.

In this thread, we discuss viable underground bunkers.
Discuss.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:23 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friendo View Post
Bullshit! There is no way you dug up 390 cubic feet of earth, by hand, in two weeks, in your spare fucking 30 minutes a day. The ground here is Louisiana is very soft, and even here that would be an impossible feat.

Besides that, this is a pretty shit-brained idea. There is no way 'laying out' 2x4s on top of uneven soil would produce something that would even come close to resembling a passable floor.
What can I say, I was quite athletic in my day. The soil was hardly uneven, were you there to experience my craftsmanship? Shut the fuck up already.
Rainycity (12-08-2009)
Old 03-02-2009, 04:24 AM
Baron

Quote:
If I wanted to go about this in the easiest way I could think of, I would bury a shipping container underground.
I think a shipping container might be too weak, you would probably have to reinforce it.

Alternative solution: Train cars, I remember hearing in the news a while back about rows of underground train cars being used as a grow op.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:59 AM

Well, you'd think wood would be cheaper than $1,500. Considering that I too have an unused garden, I should probably dig that one up. I'm going to have to dig down and then tunnel out, though. My dad plants things there some years, but other years he does not, and there's no telling what he'll do. If not, as soon as the ground thaws (April), I'll just go out there and dig for about two hours a day. But there's no fucking way that 390 cubic feet of Earth were cleared. I didn't get 3 feet into my thick, loamy Iowa soil in those two weeks I tried once somewhere. That's the thing about Iowa, though. Good firm soil. There is another problem, though. You hit clay once you get down about 4-5 feet. So, I've got to find a way to dig through clay. But, shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 AM
Slightly Grander Duke

Are you guys malnourished or something? Perhaps there's something about the soil where I live(d); I could dig three feet in less than an hour back there no problem. It's all about watering the soil. Regardless, wood is cheap and works quite well, I recommend it.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM

I remember on Penn & Tellers - Bullshit about a guy who built a whole series of mess halls, living quarters, nursery's, kitchen, ect out of school buses linked to smaller structures above ground. Youtube link

Also quick link to Bunkerbuilders which build them with nice delivery setup yadda yadda but again that's all pretty expensive. I guess to build it with shipping containers and to make it last I hope money isn't the biggest issue when building/buying one imo.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Is a motherfucking Pirate

Quote:
Oh noes, how does i fight off teh goverrrmentz?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM
Regular

Send a message via MSN to scovegner

All these environmental protestors had tactics of digging tunnels in the forests where roads were due to be built so they couldn't move in, they had some pretty nice ways of doing things, just keep in mind that these were largely temporary structures intended for a few months use at most ..
http://www.sol.co.uk/d/diffusion/cor...el/Tunnel.html
http://www.eco-action.org/dod/no8/tunnels.html
Old 03-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Slightly Grander Duke

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9IL86T6Nc8
Old 03-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Duke

Thanked 1,034 Times in 707 Posts

I recently found an entire ebook about building houses underground for really cheap. It was written by some hippy.

Let me see if i can find the rapidshare link I got it from....

EDIT:

Code:
http://uploading.com/files/cb89279b/UndergrHome.rar/
Code:
http://www.mediafire.com/?txj2lzmmo5m

Last edited by Dr. Awkward; 11-29-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:53 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Virus

Quote:
I've always wanted to dig tunnels and create secret rooms, and I want an underground room just for the hell of it (especially to use as a bunker if the 2012 prediction ends up coming true. So, does anyone have any tips on how to dig a room, how deep under to put it, and what to reinforce the roof and sides with?
Okay before I draw something up I need the following information:
  • Budget
  • Are you digging it deep to block radiation, or are there other reasons?
  • Your Knowledge of tools

Capeesh?
Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Baron

If you bury a container like that, it will collapse. They aren't built to take pressure from the sides.

http://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=609
Old 03-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
Okay before I draw something up I need the following information:
  • Budget
  • Are you digging it deep to block radiation, or are there other reasons?
  • Your Knowledge of tools

Capeesh?
Budget: $100-200. Basically the poor teenager budget
Location: Iowa (rich, black, loamy soil with clay about 3-5 ft. down)
Radiation blocking: Possibly (but I do know to block severe radiation to line the room with 1m (3.3333 ft) of concrete. So, I may have to do that if I'm going to wait out December 21, 2012 in there.
Tools: Shit knowledge and availability (I know how to use a hammer, saw, shovel, screwdriver, drill, and that's about it)
Old 03-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Virus

Quote:
Budget: $100-200. Basically the poor teenager budget
Location: Iowa (rich, black, loamy soil with clay about 3-5 ft. down)
Radiation blocking: Possibly (but I do know to block severe radiation to line the room with 1m (3.3333 ft) of concrete. So, I may have to do that if I'm going to wait out December 21, 2012 in there.
Tools: Shit knowledge and availability (I know how to use a hammer, saw, shovel, screwdriver, drill, and that's about it)
Well what exactly are you try to shelter from? We need to know this. What is your doomsday scenario? 2012 is a bit general, no?

Also, weigh 1 cu. meter of that soil for me.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus View Post
Well what exactly are you try to shelter from? We need to know this. What is your doomsday scenario? 2012 is a bit general, no?

Also, weigh 1 cu. meter of that soil for me.
I'm not terribly clear on the doomsday scenario as of yet. I know that there will be earthquakes, hail, tornadoes, plauge, blah blah blah. I'm gonna need some food storage and ventilation, especially once the hemorrhagic fever virus (Ebola, Marburg, whatever it may be). I'm also looking for protection from the departure of the magnetic field and the loss of "all energy" at 11:11 PM UTC December 21, 2012 when the solar system lines up with the center of the Milky Way in one straight line. I'm looking at putting myself about 6 feet below the surface, with a 7' ceiling, so that's 13 feet down. I don't know how large of a room I'd want, but enough to store water, first aid, medicine, and to run a vent pipe and means of communication to the surface (cell phones won't work).

Can't weigh soil yet. Ground hasn't thawed.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Duke

If anyone wants that book I was talking about, I found the mediafire link to download it. I read through it last week for shits and giggles, but it had a lot of really good information.

I don't know if we're allowed to post this kind of link here, so just PM for it.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:28 AM
The Ass in Classy

If it's on Mediafire or Rapidshare or something of the same ilk, there's no reason you can't post it Anadayo.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:40 AM
Duke

Oh ok, thanks.

Then here it is

http://www.mediafire.com/?txj2lzmmo5m
Old 03-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to fishmonger

wouldnt you have to go super deep underground for it to be effective? Getting ventelation seems like the hardest part
Old 03-03-2009, 09:41 PM

with the economy the way it is,im sure you can talk to a building contractor to help you out,especially if you paid him under the table . oh yea they used to sell bundles of them in the 50s communist era , try seeing what companies that might still be in business and contact them for a fall-out shelter, better than anything you can make by hand and probably a little safer too, think of air and breathing in all,ventilation is a plus.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:06 PM

I made a thread on totse once discussing the construction of an underground bunker/shelter. It was a small but elaborate design featuring 4 rooms a small hallway, waste disposal, fresh water supply, electricity, back up generators, ventilation, all of it. It even described how to filter air coming from the outside, being sucked in by fans and old air blown out. The bunker also had some 5 meters of soil with steel netting ontop of it. It could survive lets say a bombardment. It even had counter measures to ensure that if an explosive fell down the shaft, it couldn't roll up against the door.

There was 1 bath/toilet room which was the only room with a door in it for some privacy. The toilet and sink where connected to city water supply and sewering. In case of a cut off, a nearby cesspit could be used and bottled water for drinking. There was a storage room which doubled as a radio room. (A wire lead up to the surface) The radio board was also equipped with a geiger counter and another apparatus which measured the quality of incoming air, the fans and tubes could be shut off if something toxic was coming in. Further more there was another storage room which also held a diesel generator which could theoretically run for 4 days or more, if city energy supply was cut off. Finaly there was a small bedroom with 4 wall suspended beds.

We had calculated that the bunker could sustain 4 people for a year.

I hope its archived because I am NOT going to write it all again and draw the pictures. Besides, I wouldn't remember half of it.

Last edited by Knight of Blackness; 03-03-2009 at 10:11 PM.
kelsokid18 (03-04-2009)
Old 03-03-2009, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim "fuck latinos" Carrey View Post
Are you guys malnourished or something? Perhaps there's something about the soil where I live(d); I could dig three feet in less than an hour back there no problem. It's all about watering the soil. Regardless, wood is cheap and works quite well, I recommend it.
Oh, I'm sorry. Did I say 390 cu./ft in my first post? That was supposed to be 3900.

A hole that is 20x15x13 is large enough to accomodate a pool. Do you really mean to imply you can dig a hole this size by yourself, in two weeks, in 30-60 minutes a day? Don't be a fool.

Last edited by Hyper-dimension; 03-03-2009 at 11:22 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Blackness View Post
I made a thread on totse once discussing the construction of an underground bunker/shelter. It was a small but elaborate design featuring 4 rooms a small hallway, waste disposal, fresh water supply, electricity, back up generators, ventilation, all of it. It even described how to filter air coming from the outside, being sucked in by fans and old air blown out. The bunker also had some 5 meters of soil with steel netting ontop of it. It could survive lets say a bombardment. It even had counter measures to ensure that if an explosive fell down the shaft, it couldn't roll up against the door.

There was 1 bath/toilet room which was the only room with a door in it for some privacy. The toilet and sink where connected to city water supply and sewering. In case of a cut off, a nearby cesspit could be used and bottled water for drinking. There was a storage room which doubled as a radio room. (A wire lead up to the surface) The radio board was also equipped with a geiger counter and another apparatus which measured the quality of incoming air, the fans and tubes could be shut off if something toxic was coming in. Further more there was another storage room which also held a diesel generator which could theoretically run for 4 days or more, if city energy supply was cut off. Finaly there was a small bedroom with 4 wall suspended beds.

I hope its archived because I am NOT going to write it all again and draw the pictures. Besides, I wouldn't remember half of it.
Odds are it's not archived, but what would it take for you to repeat this epic feat.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Blackness View Post

What was your nick on totse / any idea of the title of the thread?
Old 03-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Regular

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache...nurl:community
interesting thread in the archive ..
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scovegner View Post
What was your nick on totse / any idea of the title of the thread?
The same but with 1 s on the end instead of 2.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:14 AM
Regular

I always wanted to build a secret underground room and add it on to my basement. Just a place to bring girls into ,have my friends over and drink, set up a beer ping table. In my closet i wanted to take the dry wall off and go threw the foundation and make an under ground room. I wish it would work but, i know it won't because whenever it rains hard that side of my house turns into a fuckin river.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:57 AM

I thought about taking the wall off from my room, as I'm partway underground (I live in the basement of a split-level (technically "raised ranch")), but I have exterior walls on both sides that I'd have to dig through.

So, to get this straight, if I want to dig a bunker, I need to dig a shaft, straight down (mine would be 14' deep, and about 2.5' in diameter), and then dig a room by tunneling outwards. My room would be long and narrow, with the ceiling closing in a triangle at the top. I'd make it 7' tall, so my ceiling would be 7' below ground level. I'd make the room about 9' wide so I don't have too steep of an angle, which would cause collapse. However, I cannot calculate the measures, as I do not have a scientific calculator. But I know that if my floor was 7' long, I'd have a 45 degree angle going on on both the ceiling point and the sides. My room is going to be 20' long. I would have to support this with lumber planks hammered or dug in, lining the walls, and joined by a metal brace in the center. If I cannot find one from metal of the correct angle, or build at the correct angle, I will make one out of wood that I will staple, screw, or nail at the seams. I will then make an adjacent room, which is essentially the same room separated by a shower curtain. In those rooms I will have two cots for sleeping, and the transmission wire. The ventilation is a PVC pipe with a manual control at the bottom. It's curled at the top to point downward, so that I'm not breathing air contaminated by fallout. And I'll also have a generator at the surface (if not I'll use batteries). I just need another room to store gasoline and provisions.

All I need to know now is what type of lumber is the best and how much it is, and how deep my water table is so I don't fucking dig into the saturated zone.