Zoklet.net

Go Back   Zoklet.net > Hobbies > Bad Ideas

Old 01-10-2012, 08:36 PM
Peasant

Default Can a Background check be beat?

Im having an extremely hard time finding a job. Got charged w/a felony 3 yrs ago and its been hell ever sense. What i want to know is can a background check be beat, cause being honest ain't workin'. I know for a fact that there is no central database of crimes that is accessible by people other than the police/FBI. ehen filling out a background check, you always have to fill in info like your name, social, bday, and address history for the past 7 years. Now, i know that they want ur address history so they can check local/state records. Do you think that if use a diff addresses it will work in them finding no information? has anyone tried this before?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:35 PM
Peasant

Default Re: Can a Background check be beat?

It's really depends how good the background check is, I heard some times they check neighboring states. A decent one might find a conviction in ca when the person lives in pa. The police/fbi and database companies just collect random data,does your state have expungment at all.

Thinking out side the box would give you a shot,try applying at smaller family place where you can speak to the owner directly and speak to one on one as a person. A big place is gonna see a felony and just throw the application away.

Also consider learning a trade or starting your own bushiness or starting at bottom and working your way up. If it's a low level job like cvs or working at supermarket I had friends with felonies just marking no and getting hired. Also temp place might hire you but hire you but if they offer you a permanent job they might run a background check. Some dude I knew was doing temp work and after a year he got hired full time at one site. I know for a fact that he a record but I guess they didn't check. If it's theft,volience or selling drug those might be hard for someone to over look.

I was facing a felony charge and friend of mine suggested that I have two resume,one fake and one real. Then see what kind of calls and feedback I get from the dummy one.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamcastsega View Post
It's really depends how good the background check is, I heard some times they check neighboring states. A decent one might find a conviction in ca when the person lives in pa. The police/fbi and database companies just collect random data,does your state have expungment at all.

Thinking out side the box would give you a shot,try applying at smaller family place where you can speak to the owner directly and speak to one on one as a person. A big place is gonna see a felony and just throw the application away.

Also consider learning a trade or starting your own bushiness or starting at bottom and working your way up. If it's a low level job like cvs or working at supermarket I had friends with felonies just marking no and getting hired. Also temp place might hire you but hire you but if they offer you a permanent job they might run a background check. Some dude I knew was doing temp work and after a year he got hired full time at one site. I know for a fact that he a record but I guess they didn't check. If it's theft,volience or selling drug those might be hard for someone to over look.

I was facing a felony charge and friend of mine suggested that I have two resume,one fake and one real. Then see what kind of calls and feedback I get from the dummy one.
thanks for the input. i was able to find a job through a temp agency last year and worked for 3 months. the temp agency knew i had a felony and still got me on. I left there and went back 5 months later(didn't go through temp agency this time), but they fuckin fired me last month. I know i can prob get a crap job, but that wont cut it. Guess ill just test the waters and try diff addresses and see what happens.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:59 PM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rape_N_U View Post
Im having an extremely hard time finding a job. Got charged w/a felony 3 yrs ago and its been hell ever sense. What i want to know is can a background check be beat, cause being honest ain't workin'. I know for a fact that there is no central database of crimes that is accessible by people other than the police/FBI. ehen filling out a background check, you always have to fill in info like your name, social, bday, and address history for the past 7 years. Now, i know that they want ur address history so they can check local/state records. Do you think that if use a diff addresses it will work in them finding no information? has anyone tried this before?
Damn dude, I feel for you there. What I suggest is get connections, like if your dad or sumthin knows a manager who owns a store, they could maybe hire you if you present yourself well. If not that, employ yourself with your own business.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:27 PM
Archduke

I worked with a guy at a smaller company that lied about his past.

Say goodbye to decent paying low skilled jobs.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by iswim View Post
Damn dude, I feel for you there. What I suggest is get connections, like if your dad or sumthin knows a manager who owns a store, they could maybe hire you if you present yourself well. If not that, employ yourself with your own business.
Tried some family connections, but cant get anything. Don't have any $$ for a start up business and cant save any cause i got bills out the ass. So much for a "second chance". One you got a record, ur pretty much fucked for life seems like
Old 01-10-2012, 10:41 PM
Knight

there are ways to pass them, misspell your name is the best, last names are the best, mix up numbers in your ss number too, if you get hired you will pass the back groud check and in a few weeks there will call you in about your ss number and just explian you made a mistake and got some numbers mixed up or something bullshit excuse.
I can't afford to lose my job right now, he said if I stopped taking drugs he'd let me work for HRT again but now obviously if ZOKLET comes up or anything, he'll read these forums and find out I've been lying.-JackBoy
Old 01-10-2012, 10:46 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffles2.0 View Post
there are ways to pass them, misspell your name is the best, last names are the best, mix up numbers in your ss number too, if you get hired you will pass the back groud check and in a few weeks there will call you in about your ss number and just explian you made a mistake and got some numbers mixed up or something bullshit excuse.
You know somethin? this might actually work if the background consent form and the form that they use to store employee information is diff. I remember when the felony was still pending, i had a background check ran for a job and it came back clean but when i filled out the I9, i used the same information and the SS# came back as not matching the name and HR couldnt fix it. they had to fire me and i had to reapply again. when i did, they found the pending felony and i got rejected.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 PM
Mud Farmer

Can you change your name in the US? in the UK you can do it by printing out a shitty deed poll from the internet - basically you can use any name(s) you want here. Most companies here wouldn't know how to check the label in their gym undies. Of all the jobs ive had only 1 did a CRB (criminal record bureau check). But as far as i know our version of SS# holds no info other then your work record.

Only problem here is if you don't declare your 'past' you can end up back behind bars. But that would be totally worth if if you could serve burgers to cunts in exchange for 5 an hour and their condescension.

Lots of people with a record where I live end up cleaning windows (self employed), the pay is pretty good. They charge 5 per house and it takes them a few minutes and they always try to chat my girlfriend up, which must be a nice bonus.

Last edited by homo; 01-10-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:13 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by homo View Post
Can you change your name in the US?
yeah, you can change it, but ur SS# will stay the same and it links you to everything, including your previous name.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 PM
Mud Farmer

Quote:
yeah, you can change it, but ur SS# will stay the same and it links you to everything, including your previous name.
Considering the British invented oppression, you guys seem to be owning us at it
Old 01-10-2012, 11:30 PM
Wealthy Merchant

You could maybe try a new identity, like a fake id, but then you'd have to provide a bunch of info that a fake id doesn't really provide.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:32 AM
Peasant

Its bullshit, I had a friend who used to live with me who turned away from his old life in crime and tried to turn legit. He got given a couple of opportunities but for a very very long time he was down and out and thinking of throwing in the towel and going back to crime as a means to get by. To this day I think he is still unemployed and probably given up trying to do the right thing as nobody is willing to give him the opportunity to prove himself.

I sometimes worry that if I were to ever make a mistake this would happen to me. OP is right, so much for second chances. People who have done their time should be given another chance, or at least the government could do more to set up places to work for ex-cons trying to get their lives back on the straight and narrow.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
Deud Sex Machina (08-28-2013)
Old 01-11-2012, 02:34 AM
Archduke

Time. Machine.
CountBlah (01-13-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Serf

Quote:
NOTE: Conviction of a felony does not automatically disqualify an applicant for employment.
On 90%+ job applications.
I know people with felony thefts that have no problem getting jobs. They have skills though.
Goodluck.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:23 AM
Baron

Look up your state + expungement on google, find a local attorney with free consultations.

Fast food and some retailers wont check, especially locally owned places.

If you are looking for a career to get to the point you can pay the bills - go apply at every electrical, plumbing, hvac contractor in your area as a Helper. If you are near a decent sized city there should be hundreds. You can experiment lying and telling the truth about your past ( think a small 4 man shop that needs someone to dig ditches might not pay to have a record check on you, but a place with 15 trucks might be more likely to ). Work your way up, get your journeymans license after 4 years and stay out of trouble you will make a livable wage.

How are you getting by now? Do you have someone boarding you for free until you get on your feet?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:21 PM
Peasant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaTermeneter View Post
Look up your state + expungement on google, find a local attorney with free consultations.

Fast food and some retailers wont check, especially locally owned places.

If you are looking for a career to get to the point you can pay the bills - go apply at every electrical, plumbing, hvac contractor in your area as a Helper. If you are near a decent sized city there should be hundreds. You can experiment lying and telling the truth about your past ( think a small 4 man shop that needs someone to dig ditches might not pay to have a record check on you, but a place with 15 trucks might be more likely to ). Work your way up, get your journeymans license after 4 years and stay out of trouble you will make a livable wage.

How are you getting by now? Do you have someone boarding you for free until you get on your feet?
Im gettin by now cause my wife has a career and my family helps me out, but i feel like a lowlife cause of it. Cant get an expungement yet cause im still on probation. Don't want to work fast food/retail cause the pay isnt enough to cover daycare cost. Did construction for 2.5 months and make $15k, but got laid off and cant get another gig like that. Got a bachelors degree so trade school or anything is out of the question, plus i don't have the funds to pay anyway. Its like im stuck between a rock and a hard place. i need to make @ least $13+/hr just to fuckin break even. FML

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOSW View Post
I know people with felony thefts that have no problem getting jobs. They have skills though.
Goodluck.
What kind of jobs do they do? cause i got turned down for simple shit, like selling insurance and a car salesman position(whick was gonna pay me $2k/month to train :-(). I got convicted of felony theft also and i get treated like i committed murder or somethin.

Last edited by Rape_N_U; 01-11-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:57 AM
Wealthy Merchant

Quote:
Originally Posted by STOSW View Post
NOTE: Conviction of a felony does not automatically disqualify an applicant for employment.

It's also complete horseshit. Kind of like "we don't discriminate against race, color, religion, sex, or national origin." It's a CYA statement the lawyers make you put on your applications.

Felony conviction does not "automatically" disqualify you. First they Google you to see what you did, then talk about you in the office for a while if your crime was particularly interesting, then they disqualify you.

Most of those disclaimers also mention "within the last x years." It's like a bad mark on your credit score. You're fucked for 7-10 years, then you don't have to bring it up anymore.

Blue-collar skilled jobs, like welders, riggers, equipment operators, drivers, etc.. where they generally don't give a shit because they're desperate enough as it is for competent workers, They're a hell of a lot more skiddish about any criminal record in the white-collar world.

If you lie, and they find out later, it's usually grounds for an immediate dismissal no matter how valuable of an employee you are. How easy it is for them to find you matters on the position, though. Higher-up corporate positions may get more elaborate background checks, since other companies will use it as a weapon against you if they find out your new CFO has two fraud charges under his belt. Your average entry-level position gets little more than a Google search and either a run through a subscription database of public records or just a call to the police department to see if you have any outstanding warrants. Something as simple as 'misspelling' your last name can get around those.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:16 AM
Baron

Your best bet is to commit another crime by drafting up a false identity. This can be very complicated.

You don't want to use dead people, as that loophole has already been closed for the most part and you don't know what other con artist have been wiping their ass with that particular person. People have been caught before assuming identities of dead people because another person before them fucked it up & dumped it before they decided to use it.

Your best bet is to draft up a forged fake midwife's birth certificate that never got turned in and come up with the best story you can imagine on why you've never had so much as a picture ID for all this time. The best thing I can think of is that you were born on a farm completely isolated from the rest of the world and learned everything from home schooling. You need to spend a long time researching all the potential holes in your story. Both your parents should be listed as dead.

You need to use this to get a social security card & registered birth certificate. If you can manage to get that, then you're in the door. You can then get government ID and all that jazz. Bad thing is you have to start EVERYTHING from scratch since you have no education or qualifications on file.

The only catch here I'm not sure about is your fingerprint or any face recognition software. You have to submit a fingerprint when you get a license or ID card now and that could come back to get you. You might be able to get around it if you change states, as they might not share databases.

DYODD

Last edited by Akagi; 01-12-2012 at 01:21 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM
Peasant

AS A person who has conducted these in a previous life I can tell you we ran 2 levels of checks.... a Local for $27 which gave us 2 counties, we chose current address and previous address, if the sme we chose the most populated adjoining county for the second. If you crime was in another state we wouldn't catch it UNLESS:

You we're applying for a higher paid job ( management, heavy cash handling like banking etc etc) or a job that required it as part of licensing ( Bartender, pawn broker, selling fire arms) those deeper federal BG checks were about $150 to run and we only did them on employees we had to.
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 AM
Mud Farmer

you may have to run the extra mile in other aspects of your live to compensate for your criminal record (no more crimes, build up an excellent portfolio from contract work and freelancing, even write a book if you can and hopefully it will become a bestseller. )

I've heard of expungement of criminal records before but I don't know how it works. we all need chances, and I don't think some unlawful behavior should mean you have to be poor for the rest of your life, necessarily.

for future reference maybe these kinds of resources can help:
https://delicious.com/onlinewizard
Old 06-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Serf

This guy I know was a jr , had same name as his dad. He got his dads ss number , on his application he gave his factual information, but on his background check consent form, he put in his dads social. Report came back clean, no body checked. He slipped thru the cracks.
Old 06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Badministrator

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,534 Posts

It's not that difficult, but it is time consuming and expensive.

Drop your drivers license, ss card and a credit card in front of a random bar late at night in a bad (re: poor) neighborhood.
(cross your fingers that no 'good samaritan' returns it to you)

Wait for the inevitable chaos to ensue.

Report your dl, ss card and credit card as stolen.

Keep all correspondence between yourself and the credit card company, ss administration, and DMV. You'll want to make some 'backdated' copies.

File for a tax number with the ss administration (because your identity has been stolen - and you'll have to provide proof, it takes about six months). This tax number can be used in lieu of your ss number in the future, it's in the same format as a ss# (*** ** ****).
Your new tax number will not 'hit' during a background check.

When filling out your applications in the future, mention that you've been the victim of identity theft and that the perpetrator commited several crimes using your identity, that way when your dl number or address gets any "hits", they will assume that it was the person who stole your identity who has the record - not you.

This will not work for any banking, insurance, jobs requiring a security clearance, or government jobs - they fingerprint and use afis and the fbi database.

--
Self loathing is the fate of all great iconoclasts.
The following users say "It is so good to hear it!":
ACRIMINAL (02-03-2014), aquabania (06-04-2013), iMagiNation (06-06-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 08:20 PM
Knight

btw, you fucking necrobumped from last year. gj.
Old 06-05-2013, 06:15 AM
Mud Farmer

Lightbulb Re: Can a Background check be beat?

Yes it can be beat.

My imaginary friend got arrested for a felony theft, which was eventually reduced to a misdemeanor after successful completion of probation.

He found out the background checking service the company was using. Mind you it was one of those $40 a employee services, not the government or super extensive service...

It was reporting his crime as felony theft.... he sent the background check service documents that he ordered online from the courthouse that showed it was r4educed to a misdemeanor.... He mentioned the $$$ the false report would cost him by not getting this job, implying a veiled threat (not outright threat) and they said he could "opt out" of them showing that particular record on his reports... Thus when the employer ran the report, it was clean... I imagine someone could falsify documents to send to these checkers if one wanted to...

Good luck!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:28 AM
Count

you can get your record wiped but its going to be expensive as shit.

my grandpa was a professor at a law school, he got my brothers shit all cleared out for him, its fucking costly.

think 6-7000$
Old 06-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Baron

What did you expect lol? I have fraud charges dating 12 years and I wasnt able to find a job anywhere even after Canada let me in acknowledging my record in Switzerland, My Swiss jail gave me a reference letter that says I was paroled after 2 years (5 years is what supposed to do) and that I was a low risk to re-offend and that I have skills and attitude to go back into society. So i went to college here, learned a trade (welding) got payed minimum while I was studying and then hired by the same company right away. Now I earn $26.20 an hour working in a metal shop as a welder. If you have any interest in this way go to trades college and ask what your options are, they usually give you a loan or even pay for your education if you are aboriginal here in Canada. Dont know about USA but think you have similar things. I got my welding diploma if you wanna call it that in 8 months and was unionized right away which makes all companies pay me $19 an hour minimum.
Old 06-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Count

I am in the same boat.

I have got a friends NI/SS number and got a copy of his birth certificate.

Now Wish me luck
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 AM
Mud Farmer

you can get a tax id number and a driver license from a state you never lived in b4 DONT under any circumstances list the area you got the conviction under addresses or previous employers the company will run a background check on your new drivers license and tax id which will come back clean BUT it wont pass a I-9 form when they catch that give em your real ssn they usually wiont run another background check on it I passed 3 checks like this already
Old 10-03-2013, 02:59 AM
Serf

I am a twice convicted felon that decided to turn to a so called " normal" life, it took me 7 months to get a job and yes it was a crap job that paid just a bit over minimum wage. I was happy to have it considering I worked in the jail i was in for 38 months for nothing. Was perfectly content in staying in this job i personally thought was shit until,......... the police dug up a 7 year old charge for violation of probation. Personally I had forgotten all about it, keep in mind I had just did 38 months in the system so i wasn't totally off the grid. Well they arrested me took me to court a week later and then let me right back out on probation saying i just need to pay them 4k . I lost my job because of it and can't seem to find another job. I am in the same boat as you but am perfectly comfortable in the idea of returning to crime full time but the life of a working man is so much easier. Am considering driving over state lines and going by the local shelter meeting someone there without a criminal record and simply paying them for theirs 100 bucks is quite a lot and many of the homeless have arrest but not felonies. Remember you aren't using the ID in the state you got it in so therefor their pic won't be in the dmv in your state. Luckily it hasn't gotten to that yet
Old 10-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Peasant

UPDATE: went through a few checks recently. Used a variation of my real name. 2 checks went through fine (didnt use real past address history either), and since it was temp work, i got a lil work here and there, but not enough. For a real job though, they puled up everything and matched my SSN w/my real name. Needless to say, i didnt get hired. Oh well :-/
Old 10-05-2013, 12:36 AM
Peasant

With a Username like "Rape_N_U" I don't think I want to help you out...
Old 10-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Wealthy Merchant

There was a recent law passed that makes it illegal for companies to deny employment based on a criminal background, on the grounds that it is discriminatory (not discriminating against felons, but discriminating against black males, or something).

It's similar to job descriptions which read, "must have the ability to lift up to 50 lbs.," when the job has nothing to do with lifting anything. The companies just don't want to hire old people (age discrimination), or women.
Old 10-05-2013, 06:57 PM
Archduke

Quote:
UPDATE: went through a few checks recently. Used a variation of my real name. 2 checks went through fine (didnt use real past address history either), and since it was temp work, i got a lil work here and there, but not enough. For a real job though, they puled up everything and matched my SSN w/my real name. Needless to say, i didnt get hired. Oh well :-/
You need to find a small company and lie about your criminal history. Work there for a couple of years so that you can show other employers that you're reliable.

All big companies are going to do a thorough background check. The company I work at right now had to wait longer for mine to complete because I had been arrested a couple of times, but had no convictions.